Wallcovering Install Guide
Congratulations! You have just purchased our wallcovering digitally printed on a premium DreamScape substrate. Please follow these instructions in order to make this installation an enjoyable experience.
DreamScape Textured Wall Wraps will adhere to most clean, smooth surfaces. Desired results have been achieved on a variety of surfaces including but not limited to drywall, wood paneling, glass, metal, and some polymeric mount board constructions.
This product will not adhere properly to textured surfaces. Do not use on textured paints, textured wallpaper, cinder block or brick, outdoor walls, or any surface that is jagged or rough. For best results we recommend installation on a level 4 or 5 finish, sound, drywall that has been primed and painted with a minimum of two coats (semi-gloss paint will promote the best adhesion and ease of removal).
All hanging surfaces must be clean, smooth, dry, undamaged, free of mold, mildew, grease or stains, and structurally intact. All loose paint and other wallcoverings should be removed. If moisture is present, immediately identify and eliminate the source(s) of the moisture and verify that all wall surfaces are completely dry before proceeding.
Any mold or mildew MUST be removed from walls and hanging surfaces prior to installation. Walls should not contain in excess of 4% residual moisture content. A moisture meter should be used to determine moisture content. Moisture infiltration and accumulation can lead to mold or mildew growth and must be corrected PRIOR to the installation of the wallcovering. If you are unsure if moisture problems are present, consult a qualified professional before proceeding.
This product is intended for use in buildings that are properly designed and maintained to avoid moisture infiltration, condensation and or accumulation at wall cavities and wall surfaces, particularly in warm, humid climates.
Walls should also be treated with bleach, Lysol and/or other approved, mildew –inhibiting products in order to inhibit further mildew growth. DreamScape will not be responsible for any performance and/or quality issues if moisture problems are not addressed before installation, and/or if the building is not properly maintained to prevent moisture infiltration following installation.
Proper surface preparation is key to getting great results. To prepare the surface properly, we recommend that you prime all surfaces with a universal, white-pigmented, mold inhibiting wallcovering primer. For perforated wallcovering a high-quality permeable primer, such as Roman ECO-988, should be used along with the matching adhesive.
For new drywall construction, a coat of wallcovering primer should be applied to the surface before application of wallcovering. Use a primer that dries to a solid color to conceal drywall joints.
Use only a lead pencil for marking walls and back of wallcovering. Do not use ballpoint or marking pen, they will bleed through the surface.
Do not install wallcovering unless a temperature above 65º degrees F is maintained in both areas of installation and storage for at least 48 hours prior to installation.
Hang wallcovering with a premium quality heavy-duty clear premixed adhesive. Use of a mildew inhibitor in the adhesive is recommended as above instructions. For perforated wallcovering a high-quality permeable adhesive, such as Roman ECO-888, should be used with the permeable primer.
Do not dilute adhesive. Brush an even coat of paste over entire back of wallcovering. Pay particular attention to run over edges so they are sure to be pasted. Leave material for ten minutes for the adhesive to soak in.
APPLYING WALLCOVERING TO WALL SURFACE
- Determine whether the pattern match is random, straight across, or drop match. Measure the wall height, allowing for pattern match, add 4 inches, and then cut the wallcovering. It will overlap onto the ceiling and the base approximately 2 inches.
- Apply the recommended adhesive to the back using either a pasting machine or a paint roller. Work the adhesive in, to cover the back completely, especially near the edges. Fold each end toward the middle, pasted sides together, aligning the edges carefully so they do not dry out.
CAUTION: Do not crease wallcovering. Allow to “relax” for ten minutes (booking). This will allow the adhesive to penetrate the wallcovering fabric, which is important to a successful installation.
- With all directional patterns, it is important to line up patterns at eye level allowing any drift in lineup to run off toward ceiling and floor. The standard allowance is one quarter of an inch up or down. Id patter is lined up at the ceiling the pattern will begin misalignment sooner and the gap will be larger. Also, most patterns will be viewed at eye level therefore it is that area that needs to look aligned.
- Avoid burnishing the face of the material. Use a wallcovering brush or a plastic scraper to smooth the wallcovering onto the wall. For optimal durability we recommend top coating with DreamGuard Protex3 to help protect the surface of the wallcovering pattern from stain and abrasion. DreamGuard can be applied with paint roller either before installation or after installation (see separate instructions)
- Do not rub. Do not allow vinyl adhesive to dry on surface as it may leave a white residue. Wash off excess paste from face of wallcovering as you hang it with a cellulose sponge. The cellulose sponge must be rinsed in clean water after every use. Blot dry with a clean cloth.
- Place the second strip to the edge of the first strip. Tape seams before overlapping and double cutting to avoid getting adhesive on the wallcovering. If paste does get on the vinyl, clean it off immediately with clean warm water and blot dry with a clean lint less towel. Use a soft bristle brush to wash the ceiling and the baseboard to remove any paste residue. Do not leave any overlap on the seams since panels will not adhere to itself. *Seams should be vertical, have a tight fit, and be free from air and paste bubbles. Seams should not be located closer than 6” to corners.
- After three panels are smoothed to wall surface and excess paste removed, examine the installed panels for color uniformity. Any objectionable variations in color match, pattern match, etc. should be immediately communicated to the printer for inspection before proceeding further with installation.
- After installation, the walls and wallcovering should be monitored for potential moisture or vapor infiltration or accumulation. Any such infiltration/accumulation after installation must be promptly eliminated in order to reduce the risk of mold/mildew growth.
TOOLS RECOMMENDED FOR INSTALL
- Tape Measure
- Leveler or Laser Lines
- Felt Wrapped Squeegee
- Utility Knife
Note: There are lots of other resources available online including youtube videos. We encourage you to watch those online before attempting an install if you have not installed one earlier. One good link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdrt1N8VQY